Monday, August 23, 2010

Fly

A friend posted this on facebook. I don't even know who said the quote, but I loved it so I thought I'd put it here.
"When you come to the end of all the light you know, and it's time to step into the darkness of the unknown, faith is knowing that one of two things shall happen. Either you will be given something solid to stand on or you will be taught to fly."
I've had to practice faith lately.
I started working last April doing Music Therapy. At the time I felt strongly that I needed to go back to work. So, Jason would come home from work and I would go in the evening and work with kids with special needs. Within the past couple of weeks, however, I have been feeling that I need to quit. It's been a hard decision because we could use the money and I didn't want to disappoint all the people that I've just started working with.
Even though I only work a few hours a week, I've realized that I really need to be home with my kids. Motherhood is my first priority and I can't be the kind of mother my kids need and be working too.
I know a lot of great mothers who work. I'm not going to get into that debate. I just know that my family needs me home.
So I prayed about it and really feel that this is the right direction for me. It's taken a lot of faith and trust that everything will be okay. Like the quote says, I'm hoping that I will either be given solid ground to stand on or I'll learn how to fly. Either way, I feel like this is what I should do and that everything will work out in the end.
I still think that I was inspired to go back to work, even though it was for a short duration. I've learned a lot of things, re-gained some self confidence and have realized the importance that I have in my home. Not that I do anything extraordinary. But however strange it seems, just having my presence at home-- just being there, helps my kids. It gives them comfort and security.
So I will trust in my feelings and have faith as I embark on this new path.

2 comments:

Shannon said...

love the quote. good to be home with the family, and know you're needed....even if it was a few hours a week...that can still make a difference.

rachwheel said...

Maybe you were inspired to go back so you could share your experience with us who have a small desire to go to work...it's comforting to know that the mother really does add so much of security and comfort. It's easy to think we're not all that important. But we are our kids' world.