I'm still in catch up mode. Brynlie turned 4 in November. It was so funny because all last year her favorite number was 3. She wanted 3 cookies, or 3 scoops of ice cream. I always had to sing 3 songs at bedtime and of course we had to stand in check-out isle 3. Her favorite game was to go through the UNO cards and find all the number 3s. Well, now that she has turned 4, the number 3 is long forgotten. I was afraid she'd adopt the number 4 as a favorite, but so far we're safe. Now she gets however many scoops I want to give her and she gets 1 song for bedtime (of course her siblings also get to choose so she really hears 3-4 songs a night). This was the year that she really understood what birthdays were all about. She was so excited! It was such a lovely day outside so for lunch we had a picnic at the park. It was fun to get out of the house. In the evening we had a little party. It was low-key, but we still had fun. Our sweet blue eyed Brynlie This was her new...
I am a writer. At least I'm aspiring to be. I had never really thought about writing-- my talent was music-- until I was in high school. I actually had never even considered myself a reader. But as I look back on it, my elective classes were Western Lit, English Lit, Ethnic Lit, and so on (ok, too much back story). So, in my Western Lit class, my teacher would give us these creative writing assignments. I did the assignments and he started raving about my writing. That planted the seed. Fast forward 15 years. I had this little thought in the back of my head that said, "I want to write." Then another thought would come, "I don't know what to write about." and that was it. Then my dad (just out of the blue-- I think not) gave me a guide to young writers book. I skimmed through the book (because that is what I do with textbooks), and saw something that stuck with me. Just start writing! So I did. I started that first paragraph and all of a sudden the flood gate...
I usually like to keep my blogs upbeat and positive. But today I'm feeling melancholy and just don't feel like being upbeat. So please be warned... this is a long and not so uplifting post. Please don't feel obligated to read it. I won't be offended! I was talking to a friend the other day who just celebrated a birthday. She mentioned that her 20's were difficult because she felt so self-conscious, but now in her 3 o's she's so much more confident. I feel the opposite. I feel less sure of myself now than I did as a new mother. Being an only child, I really had no clue about being a mother and I probably should have felt overwhelmed and insecure. Maybe I even did feel that way, I just can't remember. When I look back to my 20's, being a young mother, just starting my little family-- all I can think is, those were simpler times. Lately we've been recording our old home videos onto DVD and I really miss those days when my kids were young and...
Comments